- About Us
James E. Moss, Editor
- DON PEDRO PRAT: A Great and Ineffable Tragedy
- By Clifford Graves
- PAGES FROM THE DIARY OF CAVE JOHNSON COUTS: San Diego in the Spring and Summer of 1849
- Edited by Thomas L. Scharf
- WHATEVER HAPPENED TO IZARD STREET? Pacific Beach and Its Street Names
- By Zelma Bays Locker
- THE CALIFORNIA COLUMN IN THE CIVIL WAR: Hazen's Civil War Diary
- Edited by Konrad F. Schreier, Jr.
- EL CAMINO REAL IN BAJA CALIFORNIA: A Commentary on Problems of the Serra Route, by Ronald L. Ives
- By Harry W. Crosby
ON THE COVER
EARLY SCHOOLS IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY
Commissioned by Southwest Bank and now on display in the Bank's offices throughout North San Diego County, this mural commemorates Agua Hedionda Rancho, a 13,000-acre ranch that lay south and east of present-day Carlsbad. Painted by Richard Gabriel Chase, the mural shows the informal school established by Juan María Marrón, the original grantee of the ranch, for Mexican and Indian children in the area. Teachers in Marrón's school included priests, lay brothers, and several retired soldiers.
Although establishment of schools had been ordered by the Viceroy of Mexico as early as 1793, the first permanent public school wasn't organized in San Diego County until 1854.
Artist Richard Gabriel Chase shown at work on the first of his series of nine murals, each of which will depict a different aspect of life in the San Diego region during the Mexican era. Chase is a native of Massachusetts and began his art studies at the Worcester Art Museum School and privately with such eminent portraitists as Ernest L. Major and Victor Humann. He has taught life drawing and portraiture at San Bernardino Valley College. His murals and paintings may be seen throughout Southern California in financial institutions, business and professional offices, schools. hotels and churches. Courtesy: Southwest Bank
This issue of the The Journal of San Diego History was scanned and proofread by volunteer Bill Parsons.