The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Spring 2016, Volume 62, Number 2

Spring 2015, Volume 61, Number 2 (PDF)

The San Diego Zoo after 100 years

Sarah Matteson

Cosoy: Birthplace of New California

Geoffrey Mogilner

Ambition and Service: The Life and Death of George Cooke 

Nancy Carol Carter

The Cuyamaca Water Company Partnership: New Scenes from San Diego’s Water History

Bill Farley



Front and Back Matter (PDF)

The San Diego History Center gratefully acknowledges the generosity of the Robert D.L. Gardiner Foundation and the Quest for Truth Foundation for their ongoing support of The Journal of San Diego History. Additional support is provided by Journal of San Diego History Fund of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.

Front Cover: Collage of photos from the San Diego Zoo. Photos by Allen Wynar.

Back Cover: Original zoo cages remaining from the 1915 Panama California Exposition. San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park  Aerial, 1921. ©SDHC #S-22.


The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.

Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.

The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.

All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.