The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Winter 2015, Volume 61, Number 1
Iris H.W. Engstrand and Molly McClain, Editors
Theodore Strathman and David Miller, Review Editors

A Room of Their Own: The Contribution of Women to the Panama-California Exposition, 1915
Molly McClain

Balboa Park Transformed: The Panama-California Exposition Landscape
Nancy Carol Carter

Architect Irving Gill (1870-1936) and the Specifications for Bentham Hall, The Bishop’s School
Nicolas Stougaard and Nicole Holland

What Happened to the International Skyride?
Barbara Zaragoza



Front and Back Matter

The San Diego History Center gratefully acknowledges the generosity of the Robert D.L. Gardiner Foundation and the Quest for Truth Foundation for their ongoing support of The Journal of San Diego History. Additional support is provided by Journal of San Diego History Fund of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.

Front Cover: Casa de Balboa-headquarters of the San Diego History Center in Balboa Park. Photo by Richard Benton.
Back Cover: San Diego & Its Vicinity, 1915 inside advertisement. Courtesy of SDHC Research Archives.


The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.

Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.

The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.

All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.