- About Us
First Annual Report of the San Diego County Hospital and Poor Farm to the Board of Supervisors, for the Year Ending June 30, 1889
Page 363. Sheriff Haraszthy's old stone jail, shown here as it appeared about 1890. Built in 1850 just south of the cemetery in what is now Old Town, the cobblestones were set without cement and the building was damaged by rainfall even before its completion. The first prisoner dug his way out with a pocket knife. The building was reportedly used for a short time as a "county hospital" for the indigent. FEP2649.
Page . Several responses to this public notice for proposals of land for the County Hospital are on file in the San Diego History Center Research Archives. The site that was purchased included a four-room adobe house and attached kitchen for $1700. Document from the San Diego History Center Research Archives. MS Box 149
Page 364. County Supervisor Thomas P. Slade's rules for hospital patients from 1870. It appears that a good relationship with the county physician or a supervisor could make one's stay less restrictive. San Diego History Center Research Archives. MS Box 149.
Page 465. San Diego County Hospital, ca. 1905. When this new hospital opened in 1904, a caravan of "horse-drawn express wagons, three tallyhos, four hacks and two ambulances" transported 90 patients up the hill from the old County Hospital and Poor Farm. 1194.
Page 366. Location of the new County Hospital and the earlier County Hospital and Poor Farm in Mission Valley are shown in this detail from "Map of the city of San Diego and vicinity, California," Rodney Stokes and Loring, 1907. San Diego History Center Research Archives, 1295 CSD-1900s.
Page 366. Aerial view showing E-shaped 1904 County Hospital at right and farm land in Mission Valley where the earlier County Hospital and Poor Farm were located. The Vauclain Tuberculosis Sanitarium, seen at the [upper right] of this 1925 photo, was on the site of today's San Diego Hospice. The road labeled "6th Street ext." marks the location of current California Highway 163 and the approximate site of the 1880-1903 County Hospital buildings. 7004.
Page 369. Hardy's Bay City Market, ca. 1895. Charles Hardy, a meat packer and San Diego’s political boss, was one of the bidders for supplying meat to the County Hospital in 1886, agreeing to provide beef, mutton, pork and corned beef for 7 cents a pound. 80:1463.
Page 381. Carlsbad's mineral spring waters helped attract visitors and health seekers alike. The Carlsbad Hotel (on the right) opened in late 1887. Guests in the photo are standing on the platform that served as Carlsbad's original railroad stop. 6111.
Page 381. The Hotel at Murrieta. "Murrieta, a point which is destined to become one of the most popular sanitary resorts in Southern California, on account of the remarkable hot springs close at hand; one of the most comfortable and best kept hotels to be found anywhere is kept here…." Image number 36 from Picturesque San Diego, with Historical and Descriptive Notes, by Douglas Gunn, 1887.
Page 382. Murrieta and Elsinore were health-resort destinations for those with arthritis and rheumatism. Dr. Alexander de Borra credited the hot springs of Elsinore with the successful treatment of 2000 patients in 1888. Both towns were part of San Diego County until 1893, when they were included in the new Riverside County. From an ad in The Golden Era, July, 1891.
Page 384. Dr. William A. Edwards' Sanitarium and Private Hospital, located near 3rd and Elm on the crest of Florence Heights, boasted facilities for surgery. This house also belonged to historian Hubert Howe Bancroft. Several institutions specifically serving health-seekers from across the country opened during the boom. Image from an article in The Golden Era, December, 1889, p. 628.
Page 385. Dr. Potts’ Sanitarium on Mount Paradise in National City was dedicated on March 4, 1888. It closed its doors in 1895 after a severe drought and because of lack of patronage. The property was sold in 1904, reopened as the Paradise Valley Sanitarium & Hospital in 1906 and was taken over by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church in 1910. Photo taken in 1890. Photograph by J.A. Sherriff. 1253.