BECOME A MEMBER | MAKE A DONATIONPURCHASE HISTORICAL PHOTOS
The Journal of San Diego History SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLYWinter 2002, Volume 48, Number 1Gregg Hennessey, Editor
Back to the article: Dry Rivers, Dammed Rivers and Floods
Page 48. Sweetwater Dam and reservoir in 1888 was one of the earliest such structures in California.
Page 53. Morena Dam, built in 1914, was rock filled structure on Cottonwood Creek.
Page 53. The Lower Otay Dam used rock, steel plates and concrete.
Page 55. Charles Hatfield, rainmaker.
Page 56. Sweetwater Dam failure of 1916.
Page 57. The Otay Dam was a total loss in 1916 flood.
Page 57. The 1916 flood wiped out the Old Town bridge that crossed the San Diego River at the western end of Mission Valley.
Page 59. The El Capitan Dam on its dedication was open to the public.
Page 59. San Diego County reservoir map.
All photographs are from the San Diego History Center Photograph Collection.