Synthetic lace; silk flowers
Gift of Alice K. Miller and Philip Klauber
The name “pagoda” was given to hats with steeply sloped brims evocative of the roof line of pagoda architecture. This example of stiffened black lace is embellished with full-blown white roses.
Label: “Betty Hindle Millinery/San Diego”
Straw: plaited and stitched; cloth flowers; nylon netting
Gift of Virginia L. Grady
Flowers: Pink rose, lilac
San Diego city directories list a milliner Elizabeth S. Hindle from 1933-39 then a Betty Hindle from 1944-1948 and again in 1952. The form of the hat pitches the floral decorated top forward, similar to the photograph from Vogue 1945.
Silk flowers, chenille pipe cleaners
SDH 95.104.3 Gift of Ann Jones Flowers: Poppies
Label: “Wanda of San Diego/original”
Wool crepe, silk flower
Gift of Betty Quale
Wanda McCullough was a San Diego milliner who trained in Europe. Her hat business was located at 3024 5th Avenue. She is listed as a milliner in 1952 and subsequently as 5th Avenue Millinery Supplies from 1953 through 1969/70. The design and execution of the hat are impeccable. The simplicity of form is complemented by the massing of luscious silk roses – a fine combination of the talents of the artificial flower maker and the milliner.
“DOLL” SIZE, RIDING STYLE
Label: “Julius Garfinkle & Co./Washington Paris”
Straw: plaited, stitched
Gift of Mrs. Frances Richard Sutton
Flowers: Peony or scabious?, forget-me-not
This hat, similar to the Schiaparelli hat illustrated in Vogue 1938, was purchased at the Washington D.C. department store Julius Garfinkle. When donating the hat to the Historical Society the owner said that this was one of her favorites – she wore it with a black suit also purchased at Garfinkel’s.
Label: “Leslie James/Trademark” and “Whitsitt’s/La Jolla”
Synthetic straw; silk flowers
Gift of Ann Russell Verhoye
This hat came from the shop of the famous San Diego milliner, Mabel Whitsitt. According to the donor, the hat was purchased by Mrs. Ruth Russell to be a table centerpiece, possibly for a Women’s University Club function. It was later worn, as makeup in the hatband indicates.