MS 49 E Clampus Vitus Historic Sites Collection
Table of Contents
- San Diego History Center Document Collection
- Squibob Chapter #1853.
- E Clampus Vitus Historic Sites Collection
- MS 49
- Date [inclusive]
- 1.0 Linear feet (2 boxes)
- This collection contains historic site reports compiled by the San Diego-based Squibob Chapter of the E Clampus Vitus fraternal organization, either to apply for historic designation or in preparation of dedication ceremonies and the installation of commemorative plaques.
E Clampus Vitus Collection, MS 49, San Diego History Center Document Archives, San Diego, CA.
Biographical / Historical Notes
The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus (ECV) is a fraternal organization dedicated to the study and preservation of Western Heritage, in particular the history of the Mother Lode and gold mining regions of the area. There are chapters in California, Nevada and other Western states. Members call themselves “Clampers.” The organization’s name is in Dog Latin, and has no known meaning. The motto of the Order, “Credo Quia Absurdum,” is generally understood as meaning “I believe it because it is absurd.” They are perhaps best known for their role in the 1936 “Drake’s Plate of Brass” hoax.
The organization has raised legitimate historical plaques in many places throughout the West (often those sites such as bordellos and saloons overlooked by more traditional historical societies), with a traditional “doin’s,” or party, after each plaque dedication. These are now common in historical areas around California and the West. When in the Gold Country, a Clamper-placed plaque is never far away. The fraternity jokes that it is not sure if it is a “historical drinking society” or a “drinking historical society.”
San Diego and Imperial Counties are home to the “Squibob” Chapter, which has devoted considerable effort to the placement of historical plaques in the region. The collection of Squibob publications held by the San Diego Historical Society details the history of those efforts and that of the sites they represent.
Scope and Content
This collection contains historic site reports compiled by the San Diego-based Squibob Chapter of the E Clampus Vitus fraternal organization, either to apply for historic designation or in preparation of dedication ceremonies and the installation of commemorative plaques. The reports primarily consist of detailed histories of these sites, with footnotes or bibliographies of conducted research. Also included is a file of ephemera from the organization, with programs, invitations to events, and other mailers.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by publication title, with the exception of the final folder, which contains miscellaneous documents not related to the other publications. The date ranges refer to the period of history being summarized.
San Diego History Center Document Collection February 15, 2017
1649 El Prado, Suite 3
San Diego, CA, 92101
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
Collection processed by Daniel Eakin in September 2007.
Controlled Access Headings
- E Clampus Vitus (Fraternal order).
- Chamberlin, Eugene K., PhD.
- California Registered Historic Landmarks
- Historic landmarks
- Historic sites
|Adobe Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, 1850-1988||1:1|
|Ballast Point Whaling Station, 1857-1873||1:1|
|Borrego Springs and Santa Catarina, 1769-1988||1:1|
|Cabrillo Landing, 1542-1543||1:1|
|Camp Pilot Knob, 1942-1944||1:1|
|Camp Salvation: “First Citizens of Calexico,” 1842-1965||1:2|
|Campo Stone Store, 1885-1986||1:2|
|Casa De Carrillo, Old Town, San Diego, 1821-1994||1:3|
|Charles Mallory Hatfield: “The Rainmaker,” 1875-1958||1:3|
|The Church of the Brethren and Imperial Valley, 1858-1985||1:3|
|Cortes Started It, 1527-1851||1:3|
|Derby Dike and Its Successors, 1853-1953||1:3|
|Desert Tower, 1846-1984||1:4|
|El Campo Santo, Old Town, San Diego, 1849-1995||1:4|
|El Desembarcadero, 1769-1996||1:5|
|Ferryboat “Berkeley,” 1898-2000||1:5|
|Forster City, 1878-1882||1:5|
|Fort Guijarros (2 copies), 1795-1881||1:5|
|Fort Romualdo Pacheco, 1825-1826||1:5|
|Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, 1846-1990||1:6|
|Fort Rosecrans, 1542-1993||1:6|
|Fort Stockton, 1846-1848||1:6|
|Fort Yuma, 1540-1989||1:6|
|Hernando de Alarcon’s Discovery of Alta California, 1540||1:7|
|Julian City, 1870||1:7|
|Las Flores (San Pedro) Asistencia, 1823-1983||1:7|
|Los Peñasquitos Rancho and the Johnson-Taylor Adobe, 1862-1984||1:7|
|Mesa Grande: Second Report, 1895-1983||1:7|
|Mesquite Mine and Its Neighbors, 1530-1993||1:7|
|Mission Dam and Flume, 1774-1992||2:1|
|Mission San Diego de Alcala, 1769-1989||2:1|
|Mountain Springs Oasis, 1590-1972||2:2|
|Mountain Station Springs, 1862-1991||2:2|
|Old La Playa and La Playa Trail, 1770-1870||2:2|
|Old Point Loma Lighthouse/Cabrillo National Monument, 1850-1988||2:3|
|On the Old Julian Road by San Vicente from Barona, 1875-1974||2:3|
|Philip David Swing, “The Water Man,” 1884-1963||2:3|
|Picacho Mines, 1852-1985||2:3|
|Rancho Guajome, 1823-1981||2:4|
|San Diego & Arizona Railway and Campo Station, 1916-1991||2:4|
|San Diego Presidio Site, 1774-1837||2:4|
|San Felipe Stage Station, 1846-1964||2:4|
|San Felipe and Stage Trail Ranch Revisited, 1774-1979||2:4|
|San Pedro Y San Pablo de Bicuñer, 1781||2:5|
|Santa Catarina, 1775-1776||2:5|
|Santa Ysabel Asistencia, 1818-1987||2:5|
|Serra Palm Plaque Rededication, 1769-1980||2:5|
|Site of Mission La Purisima Concepcion, 1780-1781||2:5|
|Spanish Landing Commemoration, 1769-1976||2:5|
|Stagecoach Park: The Andres Ybarra Ranch House, 1769-1978||2:5|
|“Star of India” / “Euterpe,” 1863-1999||2:5|
|The Stone Store, 1868-1986||2:5|
|Tecate, California or “Tecatito,” 1769-1982||2:6|
|Tumco (Hedges) Gold Rock, 1884-1977||2:6|
|Warner’s Butterfield Stage Station, 1858-1861||2:6|
|The Wheelbarrow Odometer Survey of 1894, 1894||2:6|
|Yuha Well (Santa Rosa de Las Lajas), 1773-1776||2:6|
|The Yuha Well in Anza’a California Expeditions, 1768-1776||2:6|
|Squibob Chapter Ephemera, 1969-1988|
Programs, invitations to events, and other mailers.
Return to Archival Collections.