MS 21 Lakeside Hotel Register

Summary Information

San Diego History Center Document Collection
Lakeside Hotel.
Lakeside Hotel Register
MS 21
Date [inclusive]
1888 May 29–1889 September 21
1.5 Linear feet (1 box)
Collection consists of one guest register from the Lakeside Hotel for the dates May 29, 1888 through September 21, 1889, listing guest names, residences, room numbers, and dates.

Preferred Citation

Lakeside Hotel Register, MS 21, San Diego History Center Document Collection, San Diego, CA.

Return to Table of Contents »

Biographical / Historical Notes

Martha Swycaffer (maiden name Ward) entered California via the Donner Pass with her family, the Ward party, arriving in San Diego in 1854. Martha married her husband, Joseph Swycaffer, in Old Town on April 27, 1857, becoming the second recorded American couple to be married in San Diego County.

The Lakeside Hotel, built by Martha Swycaffer in 1887, sat on the south side of Sycamore Street behind the Old Lakeside Store. The Hotel has also been refered to as the Lindo Hotel and the Lakeside Inn, which often causes confusion. The two story building originally served as a boarding house for construction workers on the Cuyamaca and Eastern Railroad. Martha had previously run a boarding house in Santee, but moved to Lakeside to be in the hustle and bustle of the railroad construction. The hotel had four bedrooms upstairs and one large bedroom, a kitchen and dining room downstairs. She also had a Chinese cook.

In 1893, the building moved to another location on Sycamore (Lakeshore Drive) and River Streets. In 1900 the Hotel was leased to the Martin family who ran it as a grocery store and post office for approximately five years. Charles Greenleaf also used it for headquarters to run his stagecoach to Alpine, Descanso, and Cuyamaca.

Martha Swycaffer and daughter Nettie returned to the hotel and used it as their residence in 1905. A year later, Nettie passed away. Nettie’s sister, Beatrice Price, also known as “Beaty” or “Aunt Beaty,” took over the hotel in 1908. Beatrice made many improvements to the hotel, building a two story addition with six bedrooms upstairs, three bedrooms downstairs, a parlor, and an office. After Martha Swycaffer passed away in 1924, her sister, Frances Corona or Fanny “Mother” Corona, inherited the property and ran it until 1941. She sold the hotel to Clark H. Thompson and Eldon G. “Curley” Petzoldt in 1941, ending the 54 years of Swycaffer family ownership.

Return to Table of Contents »

Scope and Content

The collection consists of one register for the Lakeside Hotel, manufactured by the Pacific Coast Hotel Register Co. Guests were recorded from May 29, 1888 through September 21, 1889. Each page lists columns for guest names, residence, room number, and time. Letters B, L, D, and S, were written on the ‘time’ column for each guest possibly representing breakfast (B), lunch (L), dinner (D), and supper (S).

A blotter page is found between each register page. Every blotter page has an advertisement for “Peruvian Bitters,” on one side and an advertisement for the San Francisco Examiner on the reverse. The San Francisco Chronicle and the Pacific Coast Hotel Register Co., the manufacturer of the register, each had an advertisement at the foot of every page.

The register documents notable San Diegans such as A.E. “Father” Horton, Milton and Homer Santee, O.J. Stough, Mr. and Mrs. George Marston, Judge M.A. Luce, Charles Hardy, Judge W.A. Sloane, Charles S. Hamilton, J.W. Sefton, Russell H. Gunnis, and Thomas Whaley. Hotel guests hailed from across the U.S. including New York, Boston, Cleveland, Portland, Topeka, and Washington D.C., as well as traveling from as far away as Jersey (British Channel Islands), London, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Mexico, Canada, China, and Samoa. Guests from Spokane Falls and Yuma listed their resident states as Washington Territory (W.T.) and Arizona Territory (AT), respectively. Horses were oftentimes recorded as additional guests to the hotel, written to the right of the time column.

Return to Table of Contents »


The pages in the register are arranged chronologically.

Return to Table of Contents »

Administrative Information

Publication Information

San Diego History Center Document Collection September 20, 2011

1649 El Prado, Suite 3
San Diego, CA, 92101

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.

Processing Information

Collection processed by Aimee Santos on September 20, 2011.

Collection processed as part of grant project supported by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) with generous funding from The Andrew Mellon Foundation.

Return to Table of Contents »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • City Guard Orchestra.
  • Lakeside Hotel.
  • Lindo Hotel.

Geographic Name(s)

  • San Diego (Calif.)

Personal Name(s)

  • Corona, Frances
  • Greenleaf, Charles
  • Gunnis, Russell
  • Hamilton, Charles S.
  • Hardy, Charles
  • Horton, Alonzo E., 1813-1909
  • Luce, Moses A.
  • Marston, George White, 1850-1946
  • Petzoldt, Eldon G.
  • Price, Beatrice
  • Santee, Homer
  • Santee, Milton
  • Sefton, Joseph W., 1882-1966
  • Sloane, William A.
  • Stough, Oliver
  • Swycaffer, Martha
  • Thompson, Clark H.
  • Whaley, Thomas, 1823-1890


  • Historic hotels
  • Hotels — California

Return to Table of Contents »

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Front and binding covers are missing. Several pages are torn, frayed, and/or detached from binding. (September 13, 2011)

Return to Table of Contents »

Collection Inventory

Hotel register, 1888 May 29–1889 September 21

Entries of Interest:

Charles Hardy recorded as a guest on June 12, 1888.

Homer Santee recorded as a guest on June 12, 1888.

Mrs. George Marston and three children recorded as guests on June 13, 1888.

George Marston recorded as a guest on June 20, 1888.

Judge W.A. (William Arthur) Sloane and wife recorded as guests on December 20, 1888.

J.W. Sefton recorded as a guest on December 21, 1888.

Milton Santee and two horses recorded as guests on March 1, 1889.

Judge M.A. Luce recorded as a guest on March 24, 1889.

A.E. “Father” Horton recorded as a guest on March 30, 1889.

Thomas Whaley recorded as a guest on March 30, 1889.

Miss B. Swycaffer recorded as a guest on March 30, 1889.

Miss H. Swycaffer recorded as a guest on March 30, 1889.

“City Guard Orchestra” listed on March 30, 1889.

O.J. (Oliver) Stough recorded as a guest on April 9, 1889.

Charles S. Hamilton recorded as a guest on April 25, 1889.

“No Meales” listed for guests on June 29, 1889.

Russell H. Gunnis recorded as a guest on July 28, 1889.


Return to Table of Contents »

Return to Archival Collections.